Thursday, March 4, 2010

Catching up...

I cannot believe it is already March and we still have SNOW! Not only do we still have ton's of it on the ground, it actually snowed almost the entire day last Sunday, albeit light, but it still SNOWED!! When is it going to stop? I don't want to sound superstitious, but I shaved off my beard this morning, in hope that it would bring warm weather because my facial hair is no longer! I'll keep you posted!

A lot has happened since my last post, maybe not earth shattering, but important to me...so I'll try to bring the blog up to date...

Surgery...

We had the girls spayed two weeks ago and on Tuesday they had their stitches removed. Talk about happy dogs, they were finally allowed to go out together and play, and boy did they play, and play, and play. Nitschke even was able to join in the fun with them by getting beat up! I think they missed beating the boy up, but he enjoyed it and maybe even deserved some of it too! Molly is still suffering a bit, she had a cyst removed from her tail, so she is sporting some stylish gauze as it heals...I call it "tail art" ;-)

Pretending to ignore her tail until the two legger leaves the room!

In vogue!

Birds of Prey...

I got a big surprise recently when I came upon a large eagle on the side of the road, right up the road from our homestead. He or she was eating the remains of some sort of critter right next to the road! I'm assuming the critter, which looked like a coon had been hit by a car, which puzzled me...I had previously believed that they only preyed on living prey, not prey already dead! But having the opportunity to stumble upon a bird of this magnificance was just breathtaking...AND to find out later from some other folk that live around my area that they too had been spotting a pair of eagles was even more thrilling! If I can get some photo ops of them I will definitely post them to the blog! I'm on it!!

Oppossom...

Last weekend I was chucking the ball for Nitschke when all of a sudden he stopped cold in his tracks! He just stared intently into the tree line, so I knew something was there. I started walking toward him and I could immediately see something in the sumac's and it became clear it was a big oppossom. I called him back (probably with great fear in my voice) and he came back very obediently (Nitschke and obedient in the same sentence..kind of an oxymoron)...hahaha...Anyway, I went back into the house for my gun because my first thought was that oppossom's don't come out during the day, so I concluded it must be sick. By the time I got back, it had made significant progress of getting out of dodge, so a couple hisses from me to startle it and it packed it up and headed back into the woods. Kind of a good outcome for all of us, I really didn't want to shoot it anyway!

Candy...

I had to make a quick trip to Port Washington yesterday afternoon for business and came upon a unique little candy store in downtown Port Washington called The Chocolate Chisel. John, the fellow I was meeting for business actually owns the candy store too, and let me tell you, this is no typical candy store you see in your local mall. I got a lesson in "chocolate 101" from Pat, who works at the store and I learned more things about chocolate's than I ever knew existed. Pat was also kind enough to recommend and assemble a beautiful gift package of a variety of chocolates for Jan. I've attached a picture of the artwork, and yes, these are real chocolate candies! If you ever visit Port Washington Wisconsin, make sure you stop by the The Chocolate Chisel to pick out your assortment and peruse the beautiful pewter artwork that John designs and casts himself on the premises!



Backpacker Magazine...

Well, I'll end my rambling for today...but before I sign-off, I have to tell you the most exciting news of all...I just got my annual Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice Awards Gear Guide Edition...oh yeah...the gear junkie is now happy and content...lot's of cool things this year to peruse, getting really lightweight too, so if you are into backpacking, you can ignore this last rant...because you already knew about it...Made me realize I better get my butt out to the Ice Age Trail SOON!!!

Peace...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels