Friday, June 12, 2009

Garden visitor


Look what I found in my compost pile!! I was shoveling compost last night and came across this BEAUTIFUL baby Eastern Milk snake. He/she is approximately 8" in length and just a gorgeous little thing. It is in the palm of my hand in the photo if you're wondering what it is sitting on. This is the second Eastern Milk snake I have found on the farm, the first one was at the back of the property, and was actually discovered by Molly, one of our labs. They are not as common on the farm as Grass and Garter snakes that we encounter on a regular basis, so you can imagine how excited I was to see another one, and I assume, it is the offspring of the one I caught last fall! So if you're wondering, because I know you are, I always catch and release, so they can enjoy the farm just like we do!

2 comments:

  1. She is beautiful. I love sharing my yard with the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracey...me too! He/she is very beautiful! They keep the mice and other things at bay! However, for some reason, not sure why, when I catch the garter snakes, they leave a disgusting odor on you..yuk..Any idea why? R Dean "Slowdog"

    ReplyDelete

Labels